Today, AkzoNobel experts on wood coatings design are presenting a newly updated exhibit on color and styling trends at the Spring 2018 High Point International Home Furnishings Market.
At the event, trends for furniture, cabinetry, flooring and building products are on display for the top manufacturers, designers and product developers across the wood industries. One of the exhibit highlights is an updated perspective on Heart Wood, the 2018 AkzoNobel Color of the Year.
AkzoNobel color stylists also continue to see that two trend predictions announced during the Fall 2017 Market are still holding true. These trend predictions were based on both research by Robert Haley, Color Trends Manager for AkzoNobel’s Wood Coatings business, and work completed by the studio artisans in the AkzoNobel Color Studio in High Point:
- Two-tone finishing remains popular, especially the use of charcoal, black-and-white finishes on grainy woods, and modern design on rustic finishes.
- Gray continues to be an on-trend color in home décor, with a preference toward charcoals and other deep gray finishes.
The updated exhibit at the Spring 2018 Market will showcase these trends and the overall evolution of today’s wood finishing trends. In total, the four updated trend areas will include:
- Historically Modern – Dominant wood tones, mixing contemporary looks with historically relevant pieces;
- – Products that are weathered, raw and organic, and that show the imperfections in wood;
- Pearl & Metallic – A mix of modern and transitional that sparkle with a contemporary shimmer; and
- – The style dominating cottage and lodge design, with two-tone looks that can also be used to create a dramatic contemporary style.
“These trends influence many designs. Our job is to help our customers translate these trends into unique techniques, color and wood finishing processes that support their business objectives,” says Haley. “Sharing an updated perspective on the company’s Color of the Year, Heart Wood, gives product designers a broader palette to consider using a variety of wood substrates.”
Designers are already enthusiastic about the exhibit. “The AkzoNobel trends display gives you a broad perspective on how wood coatings color trends evolve and change,” says Tim Annas, Vice President of Merchandising for Kincaid, American Drew & La-Z-Boy Casegoods, Inc. “Seeing the updated panels with on-trend furniture and flooring examples demonstrates the breadth and depth of trend knowledge across the wood segments that AkzoNobel provides. This event is important for our Market week.”
The exhibit will be presented at a client appreciation gathering hosted by AkzoNobel at the Spring Market, with nearly 200 industry leaders from around the world in attendance. Customers will have the opportunity to engage with studio artisans to review the finishing trends and see different species of wood panels displayed in novel ways. The exhibit will also highlight the Color Studio’s artistic capabilities via an impressive wood finishes display devoted to steampunk, which is a style of design that combines historical elements with older technologies inspired by science fiction.
Published on Monday, April 16, 2018